Dear AIPPI members and friends,
We hope this message finds you safe and well. During this difficult time when many of us find ourselves working from home and cut off from our normal activities, our global community of AIPPI colleagues is more important than ever.
The Bureau has been closely watching the unfolding coronavirus pandemic which has now impacted virtually every country. Given that the health and safety of our Congress participants is our first concern, we have made the difficult decision not to hold an in-person Congress in 2020. The ramifications of this decision are as follows:
The Hangzhou Congress will be postponed to October 2021
As a result, the upcoming congress schedule will be adjusted as shown below:
|2022||San Francisco, USA|
- An online ExCo meeting will be set for 11-14 October 2020. The agenda of the ExCo will address the mandatory annual items such as elections, approval of the budget and voting on proposed resolutions. Voting will be achieved using a live, online voting tool.
Although only ExCo members will be able to vote in this assembly, we ask all members to mark these dates in their calendar as some sessions will be broadcast to an online public.
- Because we will miss the opportunity for in-person Study Committee and Plenary Sessions to debate the proposed resolutions, the RGT will shortly circulate a modified schedule for the Study Question process. This schedule will increase the opportunities for iterative written interaction on the draft resolutions and will provide for on-line Plenary Sessions in advance of the final vote at the ExCo meeting. We thank all the National and Regional Groups for their ongoing work on the Study Question Reports and ask that they please continue that work so that the modified schedule can be taken up promptly following the deadline for submission of Reports.
- As with all things relating to the coronavirus pandemic, there are no easy solutions. The decision taken by the Bureau to delay the Congress schedule has understandably caused considerable inconvenience the host Groups. We wish to sincerely thank the host Groups for their understanding and flexibility under these difficult circumstances.
As we hope for a quick return to normalcy, we wish to continue to do everything possible to facilitate engagement within our Groups and among our members at large. Consistent with this we have taken steps to increase AIPPI’s digital presence and to improve our digital platforms.
- We have begun a series of webinars to share the work of our Standing Committees, present a portion of the programme originally planned for Hangzhou 2020, and provide live commentary from IP office leadership. This series kicked off with a 2-hour session with WIPO leadership. A full schedule of future webinars will be forthcoming shortly.
- We have introduced a new YouTube channel where you can view past webinars as well as other informative content.
- A new document library with improved functionality is currently underway and scheduled for release in July.
We will continue to search for additional mechanisms for engagement and welcome your suggestions. Many thanks to all of you, the AIPPI members and supporters, for your patience and understanding in these extraordinary times. Most importantly, we wish you and your families continued good health and safety.
Looking forward to welcoming you to the AIPPI World Congress in Hangzhou in 2021!
AIPPI Secretary General