The International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property, generally known by its French abbreviation AIPPI, is the world’s leading international non-governmental organisation (NRGs) dedicated to the development and improvement of regimes for the protection of intellectual property (IP). It was formed shortly after the Paris Convention of 1883.
Today, AIPPI has around 8000 members representing more than 125 countries. Members are individuals or corporate bodies who are mainly organized in National and Regional Groups (NRGs). AIPPI currently has 70 NRGs and 118 independent members.
AIPPI is headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland.
AIPPI is a politically neutral, non-profit organisation. Its objective is to improve and promote the protection of IP on both an international and national level. This objective is pursued by working for the development, expansion and improvement of international and regional treaties and agreements, and national and regional laws relating to IP.
AIPPI serves as a global resource for information, opinion and advice about existing and proposed IP laws. In providing a forum for international discussion and thought leadership on subjects such as harmonisation and enforcement of IP rights, AIPPI provides a vehicle for broad dissemination of considered and expert views to benefit the informed development of IP systems world-wide.
AIPPI is a unique IP NGO in that its work covers all aspects of IP, its membership is open to any person or organisation interested in IP and it does not lobby for any particular professional or industry group. It is concerned with the improvement of IP systems for the benefit of all stakeholders in the field of IP.
AIPPI holds an annual meeting, referred to as the AIPPI World Congress (Congress) . A meeting of the Executive Committee, consisting of delegates from the NRGs, is held at each Congress. Congresses are generally held in September/October at venues which reflect a balanced presence in all regions of the world and their relevance to IP.
At an international level, AIPPI's substantive legal work includes:
- annual studies of issues of topical concern to IP leading to the formulation of AIPPI positions in the form of Resolutions
- the work of its Standing Committees the terms of reference of which relate variously to a particular area of IP law or current and emerging areas relevant to IP
- the professional development programme run at Congresses.
Much of the work of AIPPI is conducted by various committees, consisting of volunteer AIPPI members.
AIPPI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion or national origin. The position is a 80-100% position.
The ED will have demonstrable experience:
- of senior level leadership and management of personnel
- in fundraising and development for international organizations
- working in partnership with a Board of Directors (or like) and managing volunteer stakeholders, preferably from a number of locations
- in financial accounting, preferably with respect to non-profit organizations
- in developing and administering operational budgets
- in the management and motivation of people
- self-started initiatives that will improve efficiencies in all aspects of the operation of AIPPI
- dealing with associations, governments and agencies and the diplomacy required in dealing with international organizations.
Preferably, the ED will also have:
- experience in a membership based or professional networking organisation, an international NGO and/or a non?profit organization;
- experience in managing implementation and operations of IT-enabled solutions providing services to large user groups;
- knowledge of languages other than English
- some IP knowledge and experience.
Please refer to the detailed Job Description.
Travel within and outside Europe is expected. Otherwise, the ED will be expected to be in regular interaction with the General Secretariat in Zurich.
The ED will be paid in Swiss francs in accordance with relevant experience. Five weeks of vacation will be allowed subject to avoiding conflict with AIPPI's annual meetings. Performance will be reviewed annually by the Bureau on the basis of stated criteria.
Please send your complete application documents (CV, concise cover letter, work certificates, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org using the heading and indicating where you found this advertisement.